Daniel E. Conklin House National Register Nomination
The Daniel E. Conklin house was designed in 1937 by renowned Atlanta architect, Philip Trammell Shutze (1890-1982), in the English Regency Revival style. The building’s current owner planned to donate a preservation easement on the property to Easements Atlanta, but it first had to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places. APPS was chosen to prepare the nomination materials.
The building displays a classical linear configuration consisting of a large, two-story, central block (corps de logis) flanked by single-story wings (hyphens), which are themselves flanked by larger but secondary cubes (pavilions) at each end. Although an assemblage of different masses, the house is balanced and perfectly symmetrical around the central north-south axis. The central block houses the grand central staircase, dining and living rooms, kitchen, and major bedrooms. The north side of the main block features a central two-story projecting bay and floor-to-ceiling jib-head windows opening onto a large flagstone terrace with stairs leading into the expansive gardens.
The house has had minimal alterations since its construction. Original windows, doors, flooring, hardware, elaborate moldings, two fireplaces, an iron spiral staircase, a curved bar, and other design features remain intact. The original Athos Menaboni oil-painted murals in the game room, although covered by modern latex-based paint, are recoverable. The library retains the original vermillion red chosen by Shutze to match the color of the main gallery of the 1817 Dulwich Picture Gallery in London, designed by famous Regency architect John Soane.
The property of just over 1.5 acres is located in Tuxedo Park, a residential neighborhood in the northwest section of Atlanta called Buckhead. Gently rolling hills, winding creeks, and mature hardwoods characterize this select–and historic–residential area which was first developed during the early decades of the twentieth century.
Laura Drummond presented the completed nomination to the Georgia National Register Review Board on October 28, 2022, and the property was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on December 19, 2022.